Friday, January 21, 2011

Chicken and Waffles at Roscoe's House of Chicken & Waffles



We have for our random meal of the day some Roscoe's Chicken and Waffles. We have an order of the Scoe's #1 with a quarter chicken consisting of white meat and 2 glorious waffles. You may be thinking, chicken and waffles? Yes, it is an absolutely delicious combination. My coworker put it best like this: "Have you ever had bacon or sausage with your breakfast?" If you did, then it will be no different than having fried chicken. You would eat it the same way as you would eat bacon or sausage. This is a Southern dish of fried chicken for breakfast or in my case lunch. Trust me, it is really enjoyable.

I still remember the first time I have ever heard of having chicken and waffles together. I was fresh out of college and working my first real full time job. My coworkers were going to order some Roscoe's for takeout and asked me if I wanted some also. In my youth, I thought they were crazy to eat chicken and waffles so I thumbed my nose at them and said "That's just gross." Well, when they came back with the food, it was the most wonderful smell. That was my one and only time that I have ever passed up on going to Roscoe's.

About a decade later, we had a consultant working with us. He was born and raised in NYC. We asked him to join us for some chicken and waffles. Well, it was almost a deja vu moment. He looked at us like we were trying to pull a fast one on him and in a typical New York style, F#C# No. Well, load and behold, when we brought the takeout back to the office and the aroma of the awesome chicken and waffles permeated the room, well, someone really wanted to try our random meal. He actually tried to buy one of our meals off us. No bribery here will make me give up my order of chicken and waffles. Good thing one of my coworker was kind and give him a wing and a small slice of a waffle. We converted a true New Yorker! He actually ate chicken and waffles for two straight weeks for dinner. He said that the workers at Roscoe's gave him weird looks for coming in every day. We kind of told him that Roscoe's is a treat and not really an everyday meal. The Consultant in turn said, it is worth the 200 sit ups he does every night for this...

Found at Roscoe's House of Chicken & Waffles in Pasadena, CA.

(Nikon D700, 50mm, f2.8, 1/80, iso 4000)

No comments:

Post a Comment