Sunday, December 19, 2010

The Griddle Cafe Peanut Bubba Crunchy French Toast



Our random meal of the day brings us an order of the Peanut Bubba Crunchy French Toast. This was one of those days where I just wanted to be comfortable and just enjoy a random meal so we decided to eat inside at a dark comfortable booth. There was a table outside but it was off a busy street and it was a chilly overcast Southern California day. I took a couple of test shots to see what the lighting was going to be like and it was pretty much a no photo moment. My goal is to only shoot with available ambient lighting so the use of a flash is not an option. Only one random meal was ever shot with a flash and that was at a wedding reception. There was not going to be a second chance there so the Nikon SB900 was actually used then. If I do use a flash, then it would really make my life exponentially easier but that is not the look that random meal of the day is striving to achieve.

Today my test shots before the food came was between 1/20 and 1/30 for the shutter speed at iso 6400. I only had my Nikon 60mm macro with me so I really needed at least another stop of light. The test shots were wide open at f3.2. With the macro lens, when you shoot wide open, the plane of focus is so narrow that you only get a sliver of the food in focus when you shoot close to the food. I normally need to stop down to at least f4.0 before I actually would like the shot. I would have been better off with my 50mm but that lens was sitting at home. Oh well, may next time I thought. Then the front door opened when the waiter was checking on the customers sitting outside. The brief moment that the door open seem to brighten up the table just a bit. Our food arrive just a bit after that. So I patiently waited until the next time the door opened and bingo, I got my shot. I didn't even get a chance to perform a manual white balance but a shot is a shot. It would not matter if i shoot in RAW but I am a proud JPEG shooter. The shutter speed was still a bit low but I was in the zone and didn't shake.

Now back to the random meal of the day. The Peanut Bubba Crunchy French Toast was intense. The flavors overpower you in a good way. It felt like Peanut nirvana. Maple syrup was not need as it made the french toast overly sweet. This is definitely more of a dessert treat than a breakfast. I was sadly only able to finish one of the two gigantic slices of french toast.
Found at The Griddle Cafe in Hollywood, CA.

(Nikon D700, 60mm, f4.0, 1/50, iso 6400)

No comments:

Post a Comment