Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Las Fuentes Arroz Con Pollo



It took me more than 10 years before I finally had this random meal. It started one sunny day at lunchtime. I suggest to my coworker to go to "Taco Bell" for lunch. He looked at me like I was insulting him and his idol "Steve Jobs". He flat out said that "Taco Bell" is not Mexican food and that there was no way he would ever go to one. Well, my response was that "Taco Bell" not Mexican food but is fast food, and we should go. He said he would only go to good Mexican restaurants and told me about Las Fuentes way out in the Valley. Well, fast forward 10 years and he still has not been to "Taco Bell" and I finally gave in and went to Las Fuentes.

The road trip to the Valley was 25 glorious miles and we had to battle the sparse parking to face the restaurant and I entered the wrong door. I guess you should pay attention to the do not enter this door sign. After a minute of looking for the host to sit us down, I finally realized that you order at the counter. This was were the excitement started. I see the "Gringo Style" on the menu and was wondering if this was a practical joke and he sent me to a taco bell like restaurant all the way in the Valley. He always called the restaurant as Fuentes and not the official Las Fuentes. I did happen to send him to a real "Taco Bell" when he called me up while on vacation asking for an address to a "good" restaurant and I gave him the address to the nearest Taco Bell to punch into his GPS. But I digress....

Well, this was no taco bell. I finally realize the errors of my knucklehead ninja ways. I had an order of the most delectable chicken plate I have ever had. We have here the Arroz Con Pollo. This is a fantastic shredded chicken breast perfectly seasoned and topped with ranchera sauce and cheese, and placed in a bed of this out of this world rice. This was absolutely wonderful.
Found at Las Fuentes in Reseda, CA.

(Nikon D700, 50mm, f4.0, 1/80, iso 360)

No comments:

Post a Comment